We Are a Family, Not A Business
Please keep in mind this is our home. We are not a business, we are a family. Our days, especially our weekends, are jam-packed with three school-age children. Our priority is the safety of our children, dogs, and puppies.
We sometimes get asked why we only allow families with deposits to visit our pups. This is not surprising given the number of 'what to do when buying a dog' websites that advocate for visiting the breeder and meeting the pup's parents first. The problem with these sites is their priority is the buyer, not the pups' or breeders' health and safety. Below are the reasons we don't allow visits from families that have not placed a deposit. Please remember that our pups are home-raised - in rooms in our house. This means you can't come to visit the adult dogs or me without visiting my pups and their Momma.
Safety of the Pups
- Pups' immune systems are very immature. Many unsuspecting visitors have brought disease (parvovirus, distemper, etc.) with them when visiting pups, the result of which is the death of the entire litter. I know several breeders who have lost whole litters to parvovirus brought in by visitors.
- Stressed-out Moms create stressed-out pups. A new mother is emotionally charged and in hyper-protective mode. When a stranger comes to visit, Mom becomes stressed, causing her body to create cortisol, which goes into the milk. The puppies consume this cortisol-rich milk and become stressed themselves.
- Panicked Moms hurt pups. When a stranger comes to visit, Mom's state of mind changes rapidly. She feels threatened and moves quickly to assess the threat. Many Moms have unintentionally stepped on or crushed a pup in their urgency to get out of the whelping box to evaluate the threat.
- I don't 'own' the pups. All the puppies are sold to families, and I am simply the guardian. However, I have been entrusted with the care of these pups for the first critical weeks of their lives. As guardian of other peoples' dogs, I must do everything I can to protect them. If one of the pups was yours, I'm confident you would expect me to do that for your pup.
Safety Of My Dogs And Family
- People who email me are strangers, and I don't know anything about you other than that you emailed me with basic information (which may or may not be true). I am inviting you, a stranger, into my home, and this creates a threat to the safety of my dogs and my family.
- We have an everyday family life. We have family activities, responsibilities, and commitments. Inviting strangers into our home interferes with our ability to live as a normal family.
- Time spent with visitors is time not spent with my pups and dogs. Raising puppies and dogs is a very demanding 24/7 job. Every minute I spend with visitors is time not spent working with and caring for your pup so that you have the best puppy possible or enjoying and caring for my dogs, which is why I breed, to begin with.
- We are not a petting zoo, and some people think visiting pups is a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I will not compromise the health and safety of my puppies, dogs, and family so someone can snuggle with pups, and only serious and committed buyers are worthy of that compromise.
You can view some of our past puppies on our Facebook page, we can offer you references as well as you are more than welcome to contact our vet for reference as to the Health of our dogs and puppies. For those who want to meet some doodles as they have not had the pleasure of yet google, doodle romps in your area-most significant cities have them.
We thank you for your understanding that we will not compromise on the health and safety of our pups and hope you see this as a positive quality of a reputable breeder.